Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    Wondering if I should I be concerned about the proximity of my HF driver (902-16A) to the LF driver (515-8G), as I've set it within the 828 in a 'coaxial' fashion.

    Using the horn shown (assuming the pic loads), it 'fits well', if we can put it that way.

    Concern is regarding destructive interaction of the magnetic fields WRT damage to the 515 and perhaps sound degradation. (I'd expect the latter to elicit comments about the placement of course, and they are welcome, but concern is primarily about the magnetic fields atm)

    The comparison of course, would be true coaxials like the 604, but of course their magnets are aligned, and the HF is behind the LF section instead of in front.

    thanks for any input!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    I see path blockage an issue, not to mention it totally screws the horn flare rate.

    With the disclaimer about opinions, mine is it is worse than a bad idea.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    + 1 if you set the horn up on top, problem solved !

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    + 1 if you set the horn up on top, problem solved !
    Alas, not unless we jack up the building.
    They are stacked 828's and thus reach to the ceiling.

    I probably won't hang it within the cab it in the expected place, as I'd like to play with the port, wings, bracing and sand-filling of flares first.

    I'll have to post pic of the 288's sitting in there for kicks/comparison.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    Hi

    Your question is acoustically legitamate. I heard an instalation in a trendy pub were the top of the 10 foot ceiling were lined with rows of Meyer tweeters and the floor with 4 18" Meyer subs set to operate below 50 HZ. No mid range speakers. It sounded so awfull and rediculous that I left after two songs.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Alas, not unless we jack up the building.
    They are stacked 828's and thus reach to the ceiling.

    I probably won't hang it within the cab it in the expected place, as I'd like to play with the port, wings, bracing and sand-filling of flares first.

    I'll have to post pic of the 288's sitting in there for kicks/comparison.
    Stick the horn between the cabs in an MTM arrangement?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Concern RE: Proximity of HF to LF ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Stick the horn between the cabs in an MTM arrangement?
    Yeah, seems like a good idea and I'd have tried it by now, but there's literally about 2" of clearance top and bottom combined when they are stacked. I couldn't even squeeze piezo's in there.


    So far - no one thinks it would be detrimental to the 515's health?

    Unless (old guy) you were implying that it would be?

    I don't mind leaving them where they are for the sake of experimentation.
    Just don't want to ruin anything.

    On the + side, they do tend to keep the cat out of the flare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.